Head of Tax Operations @krakenfx
Kraken is changing the world. Join the revolution!
Our mission is to accelerate the adoption of cryptocurrency so that you and the rest of the world can achieve financial freedom and inclusion. Founded in 2011 and with over 4 million clients, Kraken is one of the world’s largest, most successful bitcoin exchanges and we are growing faster than ever. Our range of successful products are playing an important role in the mainstream adoption of crypto assets. We attract people who constantly push themselves to think differently and chart exciting new paths in a rapidly growing industry. Kraken is a diverse group of dreamers and doers who see value in being radically transparent.
In our first decade Kraken has risen to become one of the best and most respected crypto exchanges in the world. We are changing the way the world thinks about money and finance. The crypto industry is experiencing unprecedented growth and Kraken is leading the charge. We’ve grown from 70 Krakenites in January 2017 to over 1800 today and we have no intention of slowing down.
About the Role
The Head of Tax Operations is responsible for directing and managing Kraken’s worldwide tax provision and tax reporting processes. Reporting into the Head of Tax, this role will also support tax examinations and audits, planning and special projects.
- Be an integral part of building and executing a road map for the future of the tax operations function
- Work with the accounting and FP&A in developing effective processes and technologies to support continued growth and scalability of the tax operations function
- Design and maintain work papers to support tax provisioning and compliance
- Establish, document and maintain SOX controls for income tax processes
- Prepare/review tax calculations
- Manage external consultants
- Identify process enhancement opportunities and help manage their implementation
- Collaborate with broader Finance team and other departments to obtain data for tax reporting and to assess tax implications of strategic business decisions and transactions
- Develop and mentor team members
- Monitor developments in tax accounting under ASC 740 and keep Tax and other interested parties abreast of significant changes that may impact Kraken
- Deep technical knowledge of income tax accounting (ASC 740) and US income tax, gained through 15+ years experience preparing and reviewing income tax provisions and tax compliance
- Financial Services or Fintech company experience essential
- Significant experience with US corporate international tax reporting post-TCJA (e.g., GILTI, FDII, FTCs, etc.)
- Process-oriented, with the ability to create and enhance process improvements, and manage their implementation
- Experience with evaluating and adopting technology to improve the tax operations process
- Ability to be a people influencer across the finance and larger Kraken team to drive initiatives
- Flexibility and understanding of the challenges of being in a developing industry, with large volume of information and many challenges (not being “set in one’s ways”)
We’re powered by people from around the world with their own unique backgrounds and experiences. We value all Krakenites and their talents, contributions, and perspectives.
Check out all our open roles at https://www.kraken.com/careers. We’re excited to see what you’re made of.
Learn more about us
Your application has been successfully submitted.