Product Counsel @BlockFi
New York, NY, USA Remote
What is BlockFi?
BlockFi’s mission is to provide liquidity, transparency and efficiency to digital financial markets by creating products that meet the needs of consumers and corporations across the globe. We build bridges between traditional finance and digital markets that enable growth for all participants.
About the Team and Role
We are seeking a Product Counsel to join our expanding Legal & Compliance team. This individual will provide legal advice and counsel the Product teams on relevant federal and state consumer financial service laws that can impact developing products as well as changes to existing products. Serve as the single point of contact for Product teams with great instinct for when to pull in other members of the Legal and Compliance team on specific issues. As with all members of the Legal and Compliance team, no two days will look the same. The successful applicant will be a team player ready to help across the organization as business needs require.
- Coordinate and collaborate with key stakeholders to launch and innovate our products and services across BlockFi’s platform with a focus on consumer retail tech products
- Strong knowledge of state, federal consumer financial laws and regulations
- Design and develop legal processes and procedures to support the launch of new products and services
- Advise the business on complex legal matters as well as compliance, licensing, data privacy and protection laws
- Identify and help mitigate legal, regulatory, and reputational risks in all aspects of a product
- Experience working in a fast paced environment and able to manage competing priorities
- At least 5 years of in-house legal experience at a technology, fin tech, or financial services company
- J.D. degree and membership in at least one U.S. state bar
- Experience in product counseling at a financial services or technology company
- Experience with U.S. and international financial services and consumer protection laws.
- Executive presence and able to clearly articulate risk and strategies to mitigate risk to clients and executives.
- High attention to detail with strong organizational skills
- Excellent business, writing, negotiation, and oral presentation skills
- Collaborative and team-oriented who is excited by new projects, isn’t afraid to ask/answer questions, and is always a resource to others on the team
- Experience in cryptocurrencies, retail banking, or payment services is a plus
BlockFi has experienced incredible growth since our launch in August 2017. From raising over $100MM in debt and equity capital to helping thousands of clients (and growing!) do more with their crypto assets, we have established a dominant position as the debt and credit crypto market leader in the U.S. As we expand our product suite and geographic footprint, our addressable market will grow exponentially.
BlockFi's leadership team has decades of experience in the traditional financial services and banking world, and we take a conservative approach to regulation that will position us well for sustainable long-term growth and expansion.
Our team is comprised of highly motivated professionals from diverse backgrounds. We are aiming to become the leading lender in crypto and are poised to redefine the global financial ecosystem for the better. In addition:
- BlockFi is one of the first companies to ever offer crypto-backed loans and the only company whose founding team has an institutional understanding of the debt capital markets and regulatory landscape in the U.S.
- $4.3MM of seed funding and $50MM in capital for funding loans
- $100 MM of Series A, B, and C funding led by Valar Ventures with participation from Susquehanna, Winklevoss Capital, Fidelity, Galaxy Digital, Akuna Capital, and Morgan Creek
- We are moving quickly and have already deployed substantial capital into the space, proving our ability to execute and capture customer demand
- Competitive salary
- Unlimited vacation / sick days
- Employer paid health coverage (vision, dental, 401K)
- Weekly lunch stipend
- Work alongside an enthusiastic, collegial, and driven team in a highly meritocratic environment
To read more about our mission and values, check out our company website.
Above all, you should enjoy the journey. We, at BlockFi, genuinely like each other and enjoy the work we do - so should you!
Your application has been successfully submitted.