Employment Counsel @BlockFi
New York, NY, USA Remote
BlockFi’s mission is to provide liquidity, transparency and efficiency to digital financial markets by creating products that meet the needs of consumers and corporations across the globe. We build bridges between traditional finance and digital markets that enable growth for all participants.
About the Role
We are seeking an experienced Employment Counsel to join our expanding Legal & Compliance team. As our first in-house Employment Counsel, this individual will be the primary attorney for all employment matters and will help develop related policies and guidelines, as well as provide oversight for day-to-day employment matters in the US and globally. With the fast-expanding global footprint of BlockFi there will be a consistent flow of a wide array of interesting matters. The successful applicant will be a team player ready to help across the organization as business needs require.
- Advise the People team and managers of other business lines on a broad spectrum of employment law matters, including employee relations, performance management, leaves of absence and accommodation, wage and hour issues, and internal investigations
- Draft and maintain template documents, employment-related contracts, and procedures for employment matters that arise anywhere in the world where BlockFi has employees
- Keep current on developments in employment law and evolving best practices; maintaining strong relationships with cross-functional stakeholders to provide training and updates as needed
- Assist in managing outside counsel on employment matters, including local counsel in non-US jurisdictions, to handle employment and immigration issues across offices
- Advise on diversity & inclusion programs, employee privacy, employee communications and employee events
- Experience with U.S. employment matters with knowledge of international hiring and employment practices a plus
- 5+ years of legal experience at a leading law firm or in-house at a technology, fin tech or financial services company preferably with an international footprint
- J.D. degree and membership in at least one U.S. state bar
- Ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines with consistently high-quality work product in a fast-paced environment
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to interact effectively and work collaboratively with individuals at all levels
- High attention to detail with strong organizational skills
- Excellent business, writing, negotiation, and oral presentation skills
BlockFi has experienced incredible growth since our launch in August 2017. From raising over $100MM in debt and equity capital to helping thousands of clients (and growing!) do more with their crypto assets, we have established a dominant position as the debt and credit crypto market leader in the U.S. As we expand our product suite and geographic footprint, our addressable market will grow exponentially.
BlockFi's leadership team has decades of experience in the traditional financial services and banking world, and we take a conservative approach to regulation that will position us well for sustainable long-term growth and expansion.
Our team is comprised of highly motivated professionals from diverse backgrounds. We are aiming to become the leading lender in crypto and are poised to redefine the global financial ecosystem for the better. In addition:
- BlockFi is one of the first companies to ever offer crypto-backed loans and the only company whose founding team has an institutional understanding of the debt capital markets and regulatory landscape in the U.S.
- $4.3MM of seed funding and $50MM in capital for funding loans
- $100 MM of Series A, B, and C funding led by Valar Ventures with participation from Susquehanna, Winklevoss Capital, Fidelity, Galaxy Digital, Akuna Capital, and Morgan Creek
- We are moving quickly and have already deployed substantial capital into the space, proving our ability to execute and capture customer demand
- Competitive salary
- Unlimited vacation / sick days
- Employer paid health coverage (vision, dental, 401K)
- Weekly lunch stipend
- Work alongside an enthusiastic, collegial, and driven team in a highly meritocratic environment
To read more about our mission and values, check out our company website.
Above all, you should enjoy the journey. We, at BlockFi, genuinely like each other and enjoy the work we do - so should you!
Your application has been successfully submitted.