Senior Full Stack Engineer @numerai
San Francisco, CA, USA
Numerai is a quant hedge fund powered by a network of machine learning models and signals. The master plan is to monopolize intelligence, monopolize data, monopolize money, and to decentralize it all.
We are a small team of 10 based in San Francisco. Backed by top investors like USV, First Round Capital, Placeholder and Paradigm.
The models and signals that power the Numerai hedge fund are built by data scientists (users) competing in the numer.ai and signals.numer.ai tournaments respectively.
Users interact with Numerai primarily through our web frontend, where they can download data, upload submissions, and optionally stake cryptocurrency on their models to earn rewards. Experienced users will automate their weekly submission workflows by deploying their models to the cloud and connecting them to our GraphQL API directly. Users can also interact with others in the community using over chat at community.numer.ai and in the forum at forum.numer.ai.
The backend API is written in Elixir and backed by Postgres and S3 which talks to backend services for sending emails, computing model diagnostics, and creating transactions on Ethereum. Data pipelines built on Python/Airflow connect the tournaments to the hedge fund for weekly trading and internal data sources for daily scoring of submissions. All of these systems are deployed on AWS with Terraform, with a number of auxiliary tools and services for research, observability, and automation.
Your role as full stack engineer is to work on the core product of the Numerai tournament. You will be working closely with our designer and front end developer to grow the tournament, with our ML and data engineers to increase the performance of user models, and with our infrastructure engineers to keep the entire system running smoothly.
As a senior engineer, you will be expected to own and lead major projects while actively raising the engineering bar across the entire organization. You will work with other senior engineers to architect robust and performant systems and processes. You will work closely with management to translate business objectives into technical requirements, align projects and goals with key metrics, and grow the engineering team.
- Design and architect a system to painlessly roll out quarterly data releases/changes to the tournament that minimizes manual code changes and breaking changes to the API.
- Design and build key metrics to measure user happiness, engagement, adoption, retention, and task success of the tournament. Use those metrics to create and execute on a coherent product strategy and roadmap.
- Take ownership of the quality of the entire codebase and system. Actively pay down technical debt and improve developer experience. Introduce tools and processes around deployments, testing, and CI/CD to improve developer velocity.
- Take ownership of our core code/data abstractions. Actively groom and refactor to keep the system flexible and resilient against required changes. Be a champion for best practices, design patterns, and frameworks to improve engineering leverage.
- Field ad-hoc user questions and support requests and distill them into actionable improvements to the core product. Actively improve our emails/notifications, documentation, and all user facing communication to build user trust.
- Can write clean Python code
- Experience designing and building front and backend web applications
- Experience designing and building data pipelines and data APIs
- Experience designing and building tools for deployments, testing and CI/CD
- Excellent written communication (design docs, specs, documentation, code reviews, post-mortems)
- Extreme ownership
- Good general systems knowledge and debugging skills
- Willing to work extended hours and on weekends if necessary
- Strong interest in finance, machine learning, and decentralization
Your application has been successfully submitted.