Director, Legal - Crypto & Regulatory @Paypal
Fueled by a fundamental belief that having access to financial services creates opportunity, PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL) is committed to democratizing financial services and empowering people and businesses to join and thrive in the global economy. Our open digital payments platform gives PayPal’s 392 million active account holders the confidence to connect and transact in new and powerful ways, whether they are online, on a mobile device, in an app, or in person. Through a combination of technological innovation and strategic partnerships, PayPal creates better ways to manage and move money, and offers choice and flexibility when sending payments, paying or getting paid. Available in more than 200 markets around the world, the PayPal platform, including Braintree, Venmo and Xoom enables consumers and merchants to receive money in more than 100 currencies, withdraw funds in 56 currencies and hold balances in their PayPal accounts in 25 currencies.
PayPal’s Legal team is looking for an experienced, highly-engaged and dynamic lawyer to serve as our Director, Legal - Crypto & Regulatory. The Director will work on Crypto and Regulatory business initiatives. This role will report into the Vice President, Legal - Regulatory, at PayPal.
PayPal’s Blockchain, Crypto and Digital Currencies (BCDC) business unit is focused on ensuring end-to-end management of PayPal’s underlying product, technology infrastructure, partnerships and regulatory foundations for digital assets to help enable and support existing capabilities and markets, as well as drive continued growth in the space.
- Serve as the first point of contact for all issues related to PayPal’s blockchain and cryptocurrency business.
- Advise on threshold regulatory questions regarding cryptocurrency business initiatives, including applicability of federal securities laws, commodities laws, and laws regarding illicit finance.
- Evaluate U.S. and international licensing requirements that affect crypto business strategy.
- Advise senior PayPal leadership and business clients.
- Establish and oversee teams of PayPal in-house attorneys, other PayPal personnel, and outside advisors for sophisticated matters.
- Work closely with variety of key stakeholders, including Corporate Development, Global Regulatory Relations, Government Relations, Finance, Treasury, Tax, and Human Resources functions.
Job Requirements and Qualifications
- JD degree with excellent academic credentials.
- 12+ years of experience in financial technology, payment systems, digital assets, financial regulation, including securities law, commodities law, banking law, or illicit finance.
- Understanding of the technological variants of digital asset ecosystems and frameworks strongly preferred.
- Proven track record in building, attracting and developing talent to their fullest potential.
- Strong ability to inspire and foster an inclusive and diverse culture.
- Flexibility and creativity in dealing with complex legal issues on a domestic and cross-border basis.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communications skills.
- Excellent project management skills, well organized, with the ability to thrive in a fast paced work environment and manage numerous projects simultaneously under deadline pressure.
- A high-level of intellectual, professional and interpersonal agility and flexibility, combined with strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with business clients and other legal department members.
- Team oriented, with a strong sense of humor, unquestioned ethics and integrity, sound judgment and high tolerance for ambiguity.
- Ability to cherish innovation, embrace change, and believe that there is always room for improvement.
We're a purpose-driven company whose beliefs are the foundation for how we conduct business every day. We hold ourselves to our One Team Behaviors which demand that we hold the highest ethical standards, to empower an open and diverse workplace, and strive to treat everyone who is touched by our business with dignity and respect. Our employees challenge the status quo, ask questions, and find solutions. We want to break down barriers to financial empowerment. Join us as we change the way the world defines financial freedom.
PayPal provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, PayPal will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your application has been successfully submitted.