US Chief Legal Officer @bitstamp
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Bitstamp is looking for a highly motivated, versatile, and experienced US Chief Legal Officer
who will be responsible for the creation, growth and management of Bitstamp’s US legal team while leveraging existing legal staff across the Group. You will be joining our international legal team as the US legal expert and take part in major legal projects at Group level. In your role, you will be an integral part of conversations with key business executives to support and help drive our expansion in the US. As an experienced US lawyer, you will be driving and handling litigation matters autonomously, managing external legal counsels and service providers actively, and providing support and guidance where required to our US compliance function and US Board of Directors. You will be expected to bring new ideas and work closely with the rest of the international legal team to ensure a consistent approach across the Group. The role will be based in New York City, but open to remote East Coast based work as well.
- US Chief Legal Officer directly reporting to the Head of US with functional reporting to Bitstamp Group CLO
- Member of Bitstamp Group management team
- Main US point of contact for all US Legal related matters
- Keep abreast of the evolving regulatory landscape around digital assets and requirements from SEC, NYDFS, OCC, CFTC, and others
- Manage outside counsel effectively, and cost efficiently, where they are engaged in connection with specific projects
- Become a dedicated resource to our business and product teams, including driving new product approvals, with a focus on legal strategy and engagement
- Active participation in industry related associations and initiatives
- Ability to work closely with Compliance to deliver coordinated input to the business and other stakeholders
- Lead and scale alongside our business. Crypto is complicated and always changing. No matter what the situation or problem, you will ensure our legal obligations are met. You’ll use critical thinking skills to quickly identify legal issues, evaluate risk, and draw the appropriate conclusions including legal action.
Required Skills and Experience:
- US Qualified lawyer 10+ years of experience in regulated payment services, financial services institution, or fintech firm in the US (e.g. payment service firm, broker dealer / asset manager) or in a law firm supporting such clients (ideally with some previous in-house experience)
- Strong knowledge in US financial services regulations, with a working knowledge of corporate, data and consumer protection laws would be a strong asset.
- Strong leadership skills with proven track record of effective strategic planning, timely execution, open communication, and delivering results against company goals
- Team player, with strong time-management skills, ability to multitask, and understand the scope of work and cross-department international connections
- Strong understanding (and love) of blockchain and cryptocurrency regulation
- Effective verbal and written communications skills with the ability to communicate with staff at all levels of the organization as well as with external partners and regulators
- Willingness to travel from time to time to offices in Europe, at least once a quarter
- Ability to work with an international and distributed team
Perks & Benefits
- Health, dental, and vision benefits for you and your family
- Remote work possible, as long as East Coast based
- Unlimited paid time off
- Flexible work hours
- 401(k) plan with corporate matching
- Opportunity to work in a growing startup
Your application has been successfully submitted.