Principal Engineer / Lead – Core Protocol @dapperlabs
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Dapper Labs is the creator of industry-leading experiences including CryptoKitties and NBA Top Shot, as well as Dapper, the simplest way to manage your assets and use the blockchain. We are the original developers behind Flow, a new decentralized blockchain and cryptocurrency designed from the ground up for scalability and ease of use.
Flow is currently fully functional and operating in mainnet, powered by hundreds of nodes distributed around the world, and running several consumer applications including NBA Top Shot. However Flow is a new architecture, and as such there is a long list of known areas of improvement and optimization in the protocol, as well as several open research problems that are keeping our university partners busy.
About the role:
- Join an experienced team of humble engineers and architects in a player-coach technical leadership role reporting directly to the CTO (Dieter Shirley).
- Accelerate the growth of our best people, providing mentorship to senior engineers from your direct experience as well as building internal processes so team members help each other grow.
- Prioritize and strategize on solving the most critical issues that arise within the Flow protocol, responding to what we learn from our own experiences and those of our community.
- Work with the Flow leadership team to operationalize a complex technical roadmap into components that can be tackled independently by empowered teams, parallelizing effort wherever possible (everything from our in-production node software to tackling research problems on the horizon).
- [Optional] Engage the Flow community – especially our ecosystem of open source contributors and developer tools-makers – to make sure Flow nurtures the best ecosystem for consumer application developers.
Flow is a new smart contract blockchain built from the ground up for performance and developer experience – without compromising on decentralization. Instead of networks like Ethereum, where every node in the network performs the same work equally, the Flow architecture allows nodes to specialize based on their hardware capacity as well as their financial stake – dramatically increasing performance while maintaining wide participation.
Compared to sharding, the Flow architecture means the separation of labor between nodes is vertical (across the different validation stages for each transaction) rather than horizontal (across different transactions). In other words, every node still participates in the validation of every transaction, but they do so only at one of the stages of validation. The result is that Flow is the first decentralized network that can maintain a developer friendly, ACID-compliant execution environment at scale. This is critical for composability: https://a16z.com/2018/12/16/4-eras-of-blockchain-computing-degrees-of-composability
About Dapper Labs:
Our mission at Dapper Labs is to make the world a more open, empowering, and enjoyable place through consumer adoption of decentralized technologies. We have raised over $50M from leading VCs including Fred Wilson (USV) and Chris Dixon as well as Venrock, Samsung, Google Ventures, NBA players, and global artists, among others. Dapper Labs partners include the NBA and NBPA, the NFL-PA, Ubisoft, Warner Music, Turner, Dr. Seuss, Genies, and the UFC, as well as 100+ others.
Dapper team members are humble and curious builders who share a passion to make the world a more open and empowering place through adoption of decentralized systems. Our people are our greatest strength: our diverse crew flourishes in a distributed hierarchy where personal autonomy and professional growth are encouraged. We value our culture above else: regardless of where you came from, what you studied, or who you used to work for, your role here will necessitate both a high level of creativity and strategic thinking on complex issues.
We recruit the best and foster an environment that empowers our team. That means a workplace that is diverse, inclusive, and open-minded. We welcome applicants of all backgrounds, regardless of race, colour, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or disability. Even if you feel you don't meet all the requirements listed above, we encourage you to apply!
More about Dapper Labs:
Our people are what makes our team special - because of that, we work hard to provide our full-time team members with perks that make their lives better by offering:
○ Flexible vacation & remote work policy - as we accomplish our goals, time off is more than a must. Most team members take between 15-20 days off per year, but we have no hard limit for our high impact individuals.
○ Diverse opportunities for learning and development - we provide resources for conferences, classes, books, and other opportunities to maintain and expand your skill set and professional growth.
○ Fitness reimbursements - stay fit with our reimbursements for health-related benefits like gym memberships, fitness apps, and personal training.
○ Top-Line equipment - in addition to receiving a company smartphone of your choice with a paid voice/data plan, every team member receives a generous equipment budget to try new gadgets, tools, and platforms.
○ Flexible parental leave policies - We understand the importance and demands of a growing family. In addition to state, provincial, and federal leave allowances, parents on the team have the flexibility to work from home or take days off when family needs to come first.
○ When we can safely return to our office, fuel up with healthy snacks and coffee, get fit with an onsite gym, recover with onsite RMT/acupuncturist, and meet the many furry friends of our dog-friendly office!
At Dapper Labs we recruit the best and foster an environment that empowers our team. That means a workplace that is diverse, inclusive, and open-minded. We welcome applicants of all backgrounds, regardless of race, colour, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or disability. Don’t sweat it if you don’t have everything listed in the above requirements. Our values include continuous improvement and curiosity. If you have some of these qualities and believe that this is the position that will make you excited to work every day, then we want to hear from you!
Your application has been successfully submitted.