Commercial Counsel @StellarOrg
San Francisco, CA, USA Remote
Open to considering remote candidates in the US.
Interested in helping us change the world of payments forever? The Stellar Development Foundation (SDF) is seeking an experienced attorney with a background in commercial contracts and, ideally, fintech and/or blockchain technology. As a member of the legal team that supports SDF, this role will be primarily responsible for commercial contracts and will work closely with the Business Development (BD) and partnerships team. You will have the opportunity to work in a fast paced-industry, in a supportive and friendly office culture, working on some of the most exciting and innovative legal issues in blockchain.
What You'll Do:
- Primary counsel for all commercial agreements including our standard business templates, ad hoc vendor contracts and NDA’s as well as drafting complex bespoke deals
- Primary counsel supporting the BD and partnerships team in the due diligence, drafting, negotiation, and execution of integration deals with U.S. and international money transfer operators and digital asset issuers
- Primary counsel supporting Meridian, the annual Stellar annual conference, including all sponsorships, marketing, venue and logistics agreements as well as ad hoc advice Creating, managing and training staff on internal policies
- Advising on issues relating to compliance, payments, forex, money transmission, cross border payments, securities, crypto and blockchain (we can help you upskill in these if needed)
- Managing outside counsel on all of the aboveThere is scope to adjust the job specification to include or exclude certain responsibilities depending on the experience of the candidate including corporate, marketing and privacy work
What We Are Looking For:
- 5+ years of combined, relevant law firm or in-house experience, preferably in blockchain, fintech, financial regulation, and/or banking (but not essential)
- Excellent problem solving skills, judgment, communication and interpersonal skillsAbility to present complex compliance and regulatory issues in a clear and concise manner and provide succinct, practical and results-oriented legal advice
- Ability to effectively organize, prioritize, and manage projects Ability and desire to thrive and innovate in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Sound and practical business judgment, intellectual creativity, and problem-solving skills
- Familiarity with blockchain and crypto is a bonus. If not, all you need is a keen interest in learning and we’ll get you up to speed!
- A JD and active membership in at least one state bar
Stellar is a decentralized, fast, scalable, and uniquely sustainable network for financial products and services. It is both a cross-currency transaction system and a platform for digital asset issuance, designed to connect the world’s financial infrastructure. Dozens of financial institutions worldwide issue assets and settle payments on the Stellar network, which has grown to over 4 million accounts.
About the Stellar Development Foundation
The Stellar Development Foundation (SDF) is a non-profit organization that supports the development and growth of Stellar, an open-source network that connects the world’s financial infrastructure. Founded in 2014, the Foundation helps maintain Stellar’s codebase, supports the technical and business communities building on the network, and serves as a voice to regulators and institutions. The Foundation seeks to create equitable access to the global financial system, using the Stellar network to unlock the world’s economic potential through blockchain technology.
We look forward to hearing from you!
SDF is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. SDF does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state or federal law.
Your application has been successfully submitted.